Sunday, June 13, 2010

Shopping

And Other thoughts.
Okay so my family (daughter) has been pleading with me of late to buy some new clothes. I kept telling her "no, I don't need them" So then my husband starts backing her up. What's a girl to do? I used to live to shop. That was in my younger days---MUCH younger days---we're talking 80's Early 90's folks...
So I dragged myself out of bed yesterday got my sleeping daughter up and headed to Old Navy for the $2.00 tank tops. I couldn't justify buying any for myself. Hey. Rachel wears the same size as me, we'll share.
After a shopping spree at "Old Navy" that cost less than $10 we headed over to the Mall, JC Penney's to be exact. I was armed with two $10 off coupons ($20 in savings) plus a %15 off coupon and then found another coupon upon checkout. My receipt says I saved $268!!!!!! No, I did not even come close to spending that amount. I am the SCROOGE of the shopping world. I am not gonna spend more than $10 on a pair of shorts and I prefer not to go over $5 on a shirt...
Let's get back to the WHY did I need to shop? Ugh! My excuse was there are plenty of people out there that don't have clothing that looks nice or fits correctly but are still modest, right? Well I have recently, unintentionally mind you, lost close to 40 pounds which means even my ,ahem, most essentials no longer fit. I guess since I live in America you could say I "needed" clothes. Oh there's that word "need" Well when the belt I was using to hold up the pants/shorts I owned was being wrapped around my waist twice I decided to give in. I went to Penney's. No luck in women's or misses. NOTHING fit. The sales lady kept ushering me to Juniors. That was the LAST place I wanted to go but the first place my daughter wanted to be without me trying on clothing in "her" department. After an appointment in Maryville last week I took my daughter to Rue 21. I picked up a dress to try on and to her horror it actually looked good and I bought it along with a pair of jeans that were $3.
So guess where I ended up yesterday? Yup, Juniors. (the old lady!)
I even got a shirt that was marked $38 for $4.10. So I think now I am set for the dog days of summer. Let's just not talk about the fall/winter clothing yet. At this rate "I'll be back in the Kids department!"
Getting back to that whole living in America thing. I couldn't be more thankful for where God decided I would be born. We are so richly blessed by His kindness in the way of provision: food, clothing, shelter. It saddens me when I hear people complain. Oh it really breaks my heart. The other day I heard a child say "Oh man, I have to eat FRESH blueberries? I WANTED frozen ones" Where else but in America? We are under the test of prosperity here. Even the poorest of us can still work and eat. Be thankful. Just be thankful...
Oh and my daughter and I? Let's just say we'll be sharing the same clothing department and closets for a while.
And, since you've read this far why don't you head on over to my daughter's and my blog and help a single mom with three children that is about to give birth. Be Pro-Life in action and word.
http://helpushelpchildren.blogspot.com/2010/06/pro-life.html

No comments:

Post a Comment